It is important you take all due precaution when walking in the city at night. In particular, you should avoid doing so alone. If you need to get a taxi back to Selwyn, the JCR will refund the fare. If you wish to make a claim, you should obtain a signed receipt from the taxi driver that states the date and time of travel, the destination and starting place, and that you were alone. Then write your own name on the receipt and place it in the JCR Treasurer’s pigeonhole.

If you find yourself without cash but still needing a taxi, the Duty Porter will pay the fare on arrival at College, but of course you are expected to repay the loan at the earliest practicable time.

If you need help when you are in town, you can go to the Porters’ Lodge of any College. Having established your identity, the Porters will contact Selwyn Porters’ Lodge on your behalf or provide other assistance.

4.4.1 Reporting Accidents

It is a legal requirement for an accident report form (available from the Porters’ Lodge) to be completed after any accident. It is your responsibility to ensure that this is done, although if one of the Porters has been involved they will write the report. Incidents in which a student requires medical attention within or outside College (including any visits to the hospital) must be reported; so must any incidents to which an ambulance or paramedics are called.