Selwyn College is delighted to announce our research project competition open to primary school pupils in Years 5 and 6. Interested pupils will submit a research project on a topic of their choice which can be presented in a number of ways. The top 25 entrants will win a trip to the University of Cambridge for a day of fun, educational activities and a chance to meet other pupils to share their work.
Selwyn College is one of the 31 colleges which together form the University of Cambridge. As part of the University’s commitment to widening participation and fair access to higher education, Selwyn College employs a Schools Liaison Officer to build relationships with schools, facilitate visits and offer guidance and advice. This competition is organised and run by the Schools Liaison Officer in conjunction with the Admissions Tutors, in order to offer primary aged pupils a chance to engage with a university, raise aspirations and participate in hopefully a fun and engaging project.
Aims of the Competition:
- To promote research and independent study skills in pupils
- To support National Curriculum aims around reading and writing, subject exploration and research skills
- To provide an opportunity for primary aged pupils to learn and find out more about university
You can read some of the entries from last year and see photos of the celebration day at the following address: https://tinyurl.com/2017PrimaryCompetition
What is the Competition?
The competition consist of 3 parts:
- A visit in school to introduce the competition (optional)
- Pupils create a research project on a topic of their own choice, producing at least one page of A4 writing
- Winners are invited to a special celebration day at the University of Cambridge for themselves and one accompanying adult
Please see the accompanying documents for further information:
How to Enter
Competition entries are due by Friday 18th May.
Entries can be submitted by post or via email.
Please send your project in an envelope or parcel to:
Schools Liaison Officer
If you have electronic copies of your project or are able to scan your project, please include the cover letter and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org