Year 13 Medicine Residential 2018
Selwyn College is excited to announce our 2018 Medicine Residential for students entering Year 13 (or equivalent) in September 2018.
The one-night residential will take place from Monday 24th September – Tuesday 25th September. All accommodation and meals will be provided by the College for the duration of their stay. We regret that we are unable to contribute to travel to and from the residential, but the residential itself is not charged for.
The residential has been designed to provide an insight into the Medicine course at the University of Cambridge, and how this may differ from other medical schools (such as the supervision system). Information about the Medicine course at Cambridge can be found at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine
The first day of the residential will consist of lectures, practical sessions and supervisions that reflect the pre-clinical part of the Cambridge course (years 1-3), whilst the second day will comprise sessions that reflect the clinical component (years 4-6). There will also be sessions on the course at Cambridge and on support with the Admissions process. There will also be the opportunity to meet current medical students, to get their views on the course here. A full programme will be circulated nearer the time. All lectures, practical sessions and supervisions will be delivered by academic staff and will be designed to be interesting but also to challenge the participants academically and demonstrate the nature of medical study at Cambridge.
Requirements for applicants:
- Entering Year 13 (or equivalent) in September 2018
- Studying at a UK school
- Achieved at least 7’s or A’s in at least 5 subjects at GCSE (or equivalent e.g. National 5).
- Must be studying Chemistry at A-Level or Higher IB (or equivalent), and at least one other science subject (e.g. Biology, Physics or Maths)
- Must be predicted to achieve at least A*A*A at A-level or 40-42 points (with 7,7,6 at Higher Level) at IB (or equivalent)
- Must be considering applying to study Medicine at the University of Cambridge
There are 25 places available for this residential. Although we encourage students to apply as early as possible, places will not be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.
Beyond the above criteria, consideration will be given to students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Have no parental history of attending higher education
- Live in neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education
- Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care
- Have been eligible for free school meals within the past five years
- Are from a group or community currently underrepresented at Cambridge
- Have caring responsibilities for a family member
- Have a disability
- Have had limited exposure to similar experiences or opportunities in Medical Study
- Have had limited opportunities to gain medical work experience
The deadline for applications is 17:00 on Monday 20th August. All applicants will be contacted after this date whether or not they have been successful in gaining a place on the residential.
Students who are interested should apply online using the following application form:
The application form should be filled in by the applicant and will need to be completed in one sitting. As part of the application process, you will be asked about any qualifications (e.g. GCSEs) that you currently hold, and any qualifications you are currently taking (e.g. A-levels). Please make sure you have your awarded grades and any predicated grades to hand. You will also be asked to write a brief statement of no more than 200 words explaining ‘What makes you a good candidate for this Medicine Residential?’. You may prefer to write this paragraph in a word processor before copying it into the form.
Questions and Enquiries
Please direct any questions or enquires to firstname.lastname@example.org