Selwyn College is excited to announce our 2019 Medicine Residential for Year 12 students studying at a UK school
The one-night residential will take place from Monday 24th June – Tuesday 25th June 2019. All accommodation and meals will be provided by the College for the duration of their stay. We regret that we are unable to contribute to travel to and from the residential, but the residential itself is not charged for.
The residential has been designed to provide an insight into the Medicine course at the University of Cambridge, and how this may differ from other medical schools (such as the supervision system). Information about the Medicine course at Cambridge can be found at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine
The first day of the residential will consist of lectures, practical sessions and supervisions that reflect the pre-clinical part of the Cambridge course (years 1-3), whilst the second day will comprise sessions that reflect the clinical component (years 4-6). There will also be sessions on the course at Cambridge and on support with the Admissions process. There will also be the opportunity to meet current medical students, to get their views on the course here. A full programme will be circulated nearer the time. All lectures, practical sessions and supervisions will be delivered by academic staff and will be designed to be interesting but also to challenge the participants academically and demonstrate the nature of medical study at Cambridge.
Requirements for applicants
- Must be in Year 12 during the 2018/19 academic year
- Studying at a UK school
- Achieved at least 7’s or A’s in at least 5 subjects at GCSE (or equivalent e.g. National 5).
- Must be studying Chemistry at A-Level or Higher IB (or equivalent), and at least one other science subject (e.g. Biology, Physics or Maths)
- Must be predicted to achieve at least A*AA at A-level or 40-42 points (with 7,7,6 at Higher Level) at IB (or equivalent)
Must be considering applying to study Medicine at the University of Cambridge
There are 25 places available for this residential. Although we encourage students to apply as early as possible, places will not be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.
Beyond the above criteria, consideration will be given to students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Have no parental history of attending higher education
- Live in neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education
- Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care
- Have been eligible for free school meals within the past five years
- Are from a group or community currently underrepresented at Cambridge
- Have caring responsibilities for a family member
- Have a disability
- Have had limited exposure to similar experiences or opportunities in Medical Study
- Have had limited opportunities to gain medical work experience
The deadline for applications is 12:00-noon on Tuesday 30th April 2019. All applicants will be contacted after this date whether or not they have been successful in gaining a place on the residential.
The two forms below must be completed by Monday 10th June 2019.
Questions and Enquires
Please direct any questions or enquires to email@example.com