Selwyn College is excited to announce our 2019 Biological Natural Sciences Residential for Year 12 Students studying at a UK School.
The one-night residential will take place from Monday 1st July – Tuesday 2nd July. All accommodation and meals will be provided by the College for the duration of their stay. We regret that we are unable to contribute to travel to and from the residential, but the residential itself is not charged for.
Participants will take part in lectures, supervisions and other activities that are designed to provide an insight into the Biological Natural Sciences course available at the University of Cambridge. Information about Natural Sciences can be found on the University’s undergraduate study website. All sessions will be delivered by academic staff and will be designed to be interesting but also to challenge the participants academically.
There will also be sessions on the course at Cambridge and on support with the Admissions process, and the opportunity to meet current students.
Requirements for applicants
• Must be in Year 12 during the 2018/19 academic year
• Studying at a UK school
• Achieved at least 7’s or A’s in at least 5 subjects at GCSE (or equivalent e.g. National 5)
• Must be studying at least two science subjects at A-Level or Higher-Level IB
• Must be predicted to achieve at least A*AA at A-level or 40-42 points (with 7,7,6 at Higher Level) at IB (or equivalent)
• Must be considering applying to study Natural Sciences at the University of Cambridge
There are 40 places available for this residential. Although we encourage students to apply as early as possible, places will not be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.
Beyond the above criteria, consideration will be given to students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
• Have no parental history of attending higher education
• Live in neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education
• Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care
• Have been eligible for free school meals within the past five years
• Are from a group or community currently underrepresented at Cambridge
• Have caring responsibilities for a family member
• Have a disability
The deadline for applications is 12:00-noon on Friday 31st May 2019. All applicants will be contacted after this date whether or not they have been successful in gaining a place on the residential.
Students who are interested should apply online using the following application form:
The application form should be filled in by the applicant and will need to be completed in one sitting. As part of the application process, you will be asked about any qualifications (e.g. GCSEs) that you currently hold, and any qualifications you are currently taking (e.g. A-levels). Please make sure you have your awarded grades and any predicated grades to hand. You will also be asked to write a brief statement of no more than 200 words explaining ‘What makes you a good candidate for this Residential?’. You may prefer to write this paragraph in a word processor before copying it into the form.
Questions and Enquires
Please direct any questions or enquires to email@example.com