8.4.1 Bicycles

Cycle theft is endemic in Cambridge. As a precaution, the University requires all students to register their bicycles in Cambridge. Please register your bike on-line through the College website. Once you have done this, collect a tag from a duty Porter who will attach it to your bike. Mopeds are treated in the same way as bicycles except that at the point of registration the Porters will advise on parking.

The College undertakes an annual cull of unidentifiable bicycles and will not accept responsibility for the removal of any unregistered bicycle.

There are secured bicycle sheds between the Library and 38, Grange Road, behind M and N staircases in Cripps Court, and near Ann’s Court and 21, West Road by the Ramsay Murray Gate. Entry is via your room key. It is most important that you close the gates behind you to maintain security. Students are asked to leave bicycles neatly and separately in the bicycle sheds.

The College cannot accept responsibility for the loss, damage or unauthorised use of bicycles stored in the bicycle sheds, and you are strongly advised always to lock your bicycle or moped when it is left unattended, and also to keep an accurate description of it, including the frame number. Bicycles should not be left at any time on the College premises except in the bicycle sheds, or in the racks in front of Old Court. Especially they should not be left leaning against the walls of the College nor kept in College residential buildings. They may not be ridden on the College paths or taken into the College Courts. Under no circumstances may bicycles be brought into College rooms or communal areas. Please also respect the Fellows’ cycle spaces.

It is not recommended that you bring an expensive bicycle to Cambridge.

The narrow streets of central Cambridge present considerable problems and dangers for cyclists. Every year there are serious or fatal accidents involving cyclists in the city. You are strongly advised to purchase a suitable helmet and to wear it whenever you cycle. Cyclists must also comply with all the relevant legal requirements; brakes and lights should be in good working order. The police regularly fine students caught without lights. The practice of cyclists ignoring red traffic lights is both dangerous and likely to attract the attention of the police. At all times you should cycle carefully and with due care and consideration for other road users and pedestrians.

In order to encourage the use of cycle helmets and lights, the JCR has a subsidy scheme, whereby you can claim £10 off the purchase of a helmet. (This is restricted to one refund per person, unless an existing helmet is damaged in an accident.) To claim, write your name on the shop receipt and place it in the JCR Treasurer’s pigeonhole. You can also claim a refund of £5 against the purchase of a single light, or £10 in the case of a set of front and rear lights (one front/rear lights subsidy per person). For further information on cycling in Cambridge see the following links: CamCycle and a cycleway map of Cambridge and the surrounding area.

8.4.2 Cars and Motorcycles

Owing to traffic problems in Cambridge, the University and Colleges are under an obligation to the local authorities to restrict the use of motor vehicles by students. It is an offence against University rules for a student to keep, hire or drive a car or motorcycle within ten miles of Cambridge while in residence in Term or in the Long Vacation without permission. The University Motor Proctor may impose a fine of £175 can be imposed by for breaches of this rule.

An exception may sometimes be made if there are special individual circumstances, or if the vehicle is essential for a University Department or a University or College club or society. A University Licence is required. It is emphasised that undergraduates will have to demonstrate exceptional need and very few licences are granted.

Permission to have a motor vehicle in Cambridge is also, without exception, dependent on suitable arrangements being made with the College for off-street parking, and the Head Porter can advise on this. The form to apply for permission to park a vehicle is available from the Porters. A charge may also be made for parking each Term. Having completed the College process, you will then need to obtain a University Licence. To do this you will need a special form, available from the Head Porter. This is taken to the Special Pro-Proctor for Motor Vehicles whose office is in the Old Schools, Trinity Lane, and is open during Term only on Mondays and Thursday between 2.00 pm and 4.00 pm (tel: (3)33310; email: motor.proctor@cam.ac.uk )

Cars parked on College property without authorisation or illegally parked in a ‘No Parking’ zone may be clamped.

8.4.3 The University Bus Service

There is a University bus service UNIVERSAL, which links West Cambridge (Park and Ride, Vet School, Cavendish Lab, Sports Centre etc) to Grange Road (Selwyn’s nearest stops are just before the West Road junction opposite the rugby ground or on West Road a little beyond the Music Faculty), the city centre, the railway station and Addenbrooke’s Hospital. It provides an excellent way of getting around. It may also be very helpful if you have visitors coming from outside Cambridge by rail or by road; the latter can park on the outskirts of the city at designated Park and Ride Sites. The Madingley Road (A428) Park and Ride is the site served by the bus service. University Card holders qualify for a fare of £1 per journey.