Although it is hoped you will feel there is someone sympathetic to turn to in Selwyn if you have a problem, we recognize that there are occasions when a student might prefer to talk to someone without any connection to the College.

In the section on Welfare  you will find listed various bodies to which you can turn, including the University Counselling Service , which provides the services of trained counsellors and a clinical psychologist.

It is worth noting, too, that the GPs in central Cambridge have plenty of experience in the kinds of problem that affect students. They are particularly good at helping anyone who is suffering from depression or who is simply overwhelmed by the pressures of university life. They know all about examination stress and the various ways of minimizing it. If you feel you need to see your GP urgently and the surgery is unable to offer you an early appointment, it is often worth seeing whether the Nurse or your Tutor can get them to see you sooner.

3.4.1 The Students’ Unions’ Advice Service

As members of the University, all students are entitled to use the Students’ Unions’ Advice Service. The SUAS provides free, confidential support to all students. If you ever need advice, information, support or representation on any issue (academic or personal), it is worth consulting the SUAS. It consists of two professional Student Advisors, as well as three student representatives. They are all trained to provide support and SUAS is accredited by Advice UK.

SUAS is happy to work with you over the phone, via Skype or via email or in person. If you prefer to meet in person, there is a form to complete to organise an appointment or you can just drop in!  Advice drop-in sessions, (12-2pm every Tuesday and Thursday) allow you to see an advisor without having to make an appointment. SUAS is committed to responding to all emails within twenty-four working hours. You can contact the SUAS by email:, or phone: 01223 746999.