There is a separate Accommodation Handbook that provides full details on that side of College provision and deals fully with all matters relating to your room and to related matters.

Access to and the use of the roof in Cripps Court, the balustrades in Ann’s Court, hostel balconies, or other equivalent roof areas is strictly prohibited. They are dangerous areas to which only those with proper training and equipment are permitted access. 

7.2.1 Rooms and Rents

Selwyn has a variety of student accommodation in staircases on Old Court, Cripps Court, Ann's Court and in nearby student hostels, coded according to the facilities available in each room, with a corresponding range of weekly room rents:



Room Code

No of Rooms

Weekly Rent

























Weekly rent includes utilities. Undergraduates are typically charged for three 10-week terms, with any vacation residence charged pro-rata. Postgraduates are charged quarterly, but will pay for no more than 48 weeks per year. The rental year begins on 1 October. Students who arrive later than that date, for whom the College is holding a room that cannot otherwise be re-let, will be charged from 1 October.

Rent and other charges are likely to rise by more than the rate of inflation in the future.

Selwyn College has signed up to the ANUK Code of Practice for the management of Student Housing.

7.2.2 Fixed Periods of Residence

The Fixed Periods of Residence for undergraduates for 2017-18 are:

Michaelmas Term 2017:

23 September* – 3 December (Full Term: 3 October – 1 December)

Lent Term 2018:

13 January – 25 March (Full Term: 16 January – 16 March)

Easter Term 2018:

14 April – 24 June (Full Term: 24 April – 15 June)

* Freshers come into residence during the weekend of 30 September – 1 October.

The undergraduate Fixed Period of Residence covers Full Term and some extra days, totalling 70 nights when undergraduates are entitled to occupy their room. Any residence outside this period requires the permission of the Senior Tutor. If such permission is granted, usually for academic reasons, you should understand that it may well not be possible for you to remain in your own room. (See Section 1.5 in the Accommodation Handbook.)

7.2.3 Vacating College Rooms

Undergraduates may gain access to their room after 12.00 noon on the first day of the Fixed Period of Residence (FPR) and must vacate their room by 10.00 on the last day of the FPR.  The FPR rental periods for the academic year are detailed in the Student Guide (Undergraduates Section 2.6.3, Graduates Section 3.1). First-year undergraduates, however, are asked to come up during the weekend before the start of the Michaelmas Full Term; a rent rebate recognises this shorter period of residence.

7.2.4 Residence Outside the FPR

During the vacations, the College is entitled to use its undergraduate rooms for other purposes, such as housing admissions candidates, visitors for Open Days or other outreach events and conference guests.  The income from conferences is vital to the College’s financial well-being. The College will always try to find rooms for students who are required to be resident for University or College purposes (e.g. obligatory vacation courses), but otherwise permission to stay in a College room during the vacation will depend on need and availability. Students are asked particularly to note that applications to remain in College outside the FPR on grounds of greater convenience to them or their family will not normally be accepted.  Students who are reliant on their family to provide transport, should ensure that they are available on a date that falls within the FPR.

Students who, for any reason, need or wish to reside in College outside the FPR, must complete a ‘staying-up’ form, which will be sent electronically after the division of each term (the ‘division’ of Term is half-way through). No applications received after the final date for the receipt of forms will be considered unless it can be shown that some new factor has arisen which the student could have not known about before the deadline.  If permission is given for educational reasons, the lower of the two vacation room rates will be charged per night; if permission is given but without educational reasons, the higher rate per night will be charged. Please see the Fees & Charges sheet in the Student Guide (Undergraduates 8.1.1, Graduates 6.5) for details of this year’s charges. Outside the FPR, it is probable that students, particularly those living in Old Court, Ann’s Court or Walters Lodge, will be required to move to a room in College other than their term-time room. Students are requested to co-operate with the staff in the organisation of any such move.