Skip to main content

3.3 Students with Disabilities


The College, like the University, is committed to supporting students with disabilities.

We strongly encourage you to disclose any conditions that affect your academic progress, impact upon your full enjoyment of life as a Selwyn student, or where you may/have experience(d) access difficulties. The responses will be sympathetic. We will seek to help you, where necessary, to find appropriate help and adjustments. There is a very supportive and strong system available and the collegiate system is a very good one for helping students to thrive here.

You should initially discuss such matters with your Tutor. Tutors can advise on how best to find appropriate support, whether financial or otherwise. You might also wish to talk to the Chaplain, your DoS, a JCR Welfare Officer, the College Nurse or to appropriate sources of support outside the College. Those could include your GP, the University Counselling Service or the Disability Resource Centre.

The College publishes an Accessibility Statement which is regularly reviewed and updated. We would welcome your feedback (to the Bursar or the Senior Tutor) on the matters covered there. There is also a University Access Guide that will provide details about Departments, Libraries and other facilities in Cambridge.

The University offers full guidance on access arrangements for examination.

There are College and University funds that can help with particular health, disability and mental health issues. One example is the DRC Reasonable Adjustment Fund, but there are other sources of help available. Please consult your Tutor to find out more.