Skip to main content

6.8 Parties, Quiet Periods and Community Life


Excessive noise, especially at night, is anti-social behaviour that shows an unacceptable lack of respect for neighbours in and outside College. Anyone subjected to disturbance of this kind is encouraged to report it at the time to the Porters Lodge (phone 01223 335846 email: All such reports, which can be made anonymously, are invariably passed to the Dean, who can be expected to take disciplinary action.

6.8.1 Parties

If you wish to give a party or hold any other gathering in College or in a hostel at which more than ten people will be present, you must obtain the permission of the Dean at least a week beforehand and before invitations are sent out. The definition of parties includes barbecues. Given the nature of such events, the Deans' permission is required for any barbecue, even if the number of people attending is less than ten. 

You should first email the Deans, who may wish to see you in person in order to discuss location, duration, number of guests, music and the like. You will also need to fill in the relevant booking form, also obtainable from the Porters’ Lodge. In some cases, gatherings in students’ rooms may be covered by the Statutory requirements of the Prevent Strategy.

Larger parties may be held in the Diamond. Small lunch or dinner parties may be held in the Borradaile Room. These rooms may be booked, with the Deans' permission, through the Catering & Conference Office. There is an online booking form that you will need to fill in. The Catering Office (email: can advise you on any questions you may have and the booking schedule is also kept there.

A similar procedure should be followed to book public rooms for committee or society meetings. For such functions initially email the Deans who may wish to meet with you. A booking form must, however, be submitted on every occasion and both at least one week prior to the event and before any invitations are issued, 

To organize a consultation with the Deans, please email

Both senior and junior members have expressed concern at the misuse of alcohol at dinners and at parties in College. Codes of conduct on formal dining (see Section 7.3) and alcohol consumption have been agreed by senior and junior members.

6.8.2 Quiet Periods

During the two examination periods that fall in the Easter Term, there are two formal Quiet Periods during which no parties, private dinners, or other large social gatherings are permitted. No events, indoors or out, at which loud music or other amplified noise is played are allowed during either of these Quiet Periods. The same restrictions apply to external bookings. The Deans are, however, empowered to allow formally-constituted, non-sporting societies to hold small dinners during either of the Quiet Periods, provided that a Fellow is present to ensure that order is kept and to encourage timely and quiet dispersal at the end.

During the Quiet Periods musical instruments may only be played in rooms between the hours of 1.30 pm and 5.30 pm each day. During these periods, undergraduates reading for the Music Tripos and taking the performance option will have priority in booking the Music Practice Room. In cases where students need to play the Chapel Organ as part of their preparation for the performance option in Part II of the Music Tripos, the full volume of the instrument may only be used between 3.00 p.m. and 7.30 p.m.

In the final week of Full Term and beginning on the Saturday before the end of Full Term, the Deans may allow certain private dinners and parties to take place. These must not feature amplified music or other noise but may be indoor or outdoor events. They will be subject to all the usual College regulations, and to any conditions imposed by the Dean. It is anticipated that they will be fewer in number per day, and of a more restrained nature, than some events that may be allowed in May Week.

The Deans must be consulted about any proposal for social events in College during either of the Quiet Periods. Guidelines for the operation of the Quiet Period can be obtained from the Deans.

These regulations apply to all members of College. Please note that it is necessary, however, for certain routine College activities, such as lawn-mowing and unobtrusive maintenance, to continue during the two Quiet Periods.