Skip to main content

5.4.2 College Funds to support your work


As a postgraduate student, you may well find that you need to travel for fieldwork, to attend a conference, or to undertake some other aspect of your research.  As a first step it is important to check with your Faculty and/or your funding body to see what they offer.  If you then find that you still have a financial shortfall, the College has two separate funds available to support the academic work of MCR members.  The first can provide work-related travel grants, and the second can give help in covering the costs of essential items such as books, software, meeting registration, etc. Application for either of these funds is made using the same form which you can access via this link:

There are no closing dates, and applications may be submitted at any time. It is a good idea to discuss the application with your Tutor before you fill in the form. Completed forms should be submitted online; they will then be sent to your Tutor who will forward them for decisions within a few days.

In addition, the College has a number of subject-related funds from which grants can be given to assist with costs associated with work in specific disciplines.  Further details of these funds and how to apply for them are given in a following section of this guide.

Those of you who are undertaking Ph.D. dissertations will qualify for a grant from the College, currently worth £100, to assist with the binding of the dissertation. This will be paid automatically when confirmation of your submission is received from the Student Registry. If you find yourself in unexpected financial circumstances that may prevent the completion of your thesis, you may apply for assistance from the University