Skip to main content

5.4.4 College Funds (non-hardship)

Body Travel Grants

In some Departments funding is provided by the University to make contributions towards maintenance costs and travel associated with particular academic courses (the approved list of courses is usually referred to as the ‘Pink List’). The Fellow for Grants (Professor Daping Chu) will advise on eligibility, but your Director of Studies should also be able to give you information. The College will not expect to fund activities that are covered by this list.

In all cases it is a condition of accepting a grant from the College that the student will undertake the travel for which they applied and that they should submit a brief report on their travel or other activities to their Tutor by the Division of the Term after their travel.

College Travel and Vacation Study Grants are awarded to enable students to travel on projects that cannot be helped directly through the list mentioned above. The total amount available is not large. Grant applications should be submitted to your Tutor by 5 p.m. on Friday 7th May 2021 so that your Tutor can forward the completed application with their comments to the Tutor for Grants. They will then be considered by a meeting of the Tutors. Full details are circulated in the Michaelmas Term. Application forms can be available online here.

In addition to the General Travel Grants, there are some Special Travel Grants which are aimed a particular kinds of travel but considered through the same application process.  If you are thinking of directing your application to one of these grants you simply indicate so on the form. You should discuss this with your Tutor before submitting your form.

The T S Cordiner Travel Bursary

As a result of a generous gift from an alumnus, this travel bursary will support the full costs of a current Selwyn student who wishes to travel to the United States of America during the Long Vacation.  Preference may be given to those who have never previously travelled to North America and whose project is planned as both a ‘once in a lifetime’ chance to undertake a potentially life-changing experience and something the student could not otherwise afford to do without the Fund’s support. The project need not be Tripos-related.   To apply, please submit the application form and include the crsid of your Tutor in the appropriate box.

The following funds require only the standard application form, including a clear statement of the fund to which the student wishes to apply:

  • The Borradaile Fund is available for zoology related travel with a preference to undergraduates.
  • The Cott Fund exists primarily to assist junior members of the College who wish to travel overseas to engage in a biological or anthropological scientific expedition/research project.
  • The Terry Dixon Memorial Travel Fund has the priority to support any students travelling to Japan.
  • The Medical Mission Fund is for religious (Christian) related trips and must be used for the activities which can be regarded as missionary and medical in nature.

Like the general grants, it is a requirement of accepting the grant to complete a report. Use this form to submit a report on your travel after your return. Chapel Funds

There are a number of funds available to help students intending to take Holy Orders in the Church of England, or to engage in overseas missionary work. There is also a fund to assist members of the College who are the sons or daughters of Anglican clergy. Students who think that they may be eligible should contact the Dean of Chapel. Music Awards

Around six Choral Exhibitions (£100 per annum, normally tenable for three years) are offered each year, for all voices. Holders of Choral awards form the nucleus of the Chapel Choir. All members of the Choir are expected to attend all rehearsals and services, participate in periodic concerts, recordings, tours etc, and take an active part in the general musical life of the College.

Instrumental Awards (£100 per annum, normally tenable for three years) are offered every year for certain instruments. Instrumental award holders also receive professional ensemble coaching and subsidies for their instrumental lessons. For details, see the current Cambridge Admissions Prospectus.

Organ Scholarships (£450 per annum, normally tenable for three years) are offered in two out of every three years. The Organ Scholar’s responsibilities include playing for Sunday services, and any other non- Choral services, and assisting the Director of Music in the preparation of all Choral services and practice. The Scholar is expected to take a leading part in the musical life of the College, and to conduct and arrange concerts in consultation with the Director of Music. Sports Grants

As a result of generous donations made by alumni, the College has a number of funds available to help members of the College with their sporting expenses, especially those competing at University level or at national level. There is an application form for these grants, and the procedure for applying will be advertised in the Michaelmas and Lent Terms for completion at the beginning of the following Term. Grants will only be made to cover expenses incurred during the academic year during which the claim is made and not retrospectively for the previous year(s). In some cases this may entail an estimate being made of the expenditure that will be incurred during Easter Term. In exceptional circumstances grants may be made to help College teams with the costs of kit, hire of facilities or the purchase of specialist equipment. It is, however, anticipated that clubs will usually apply to the Societies Fund for support and that they should also explore other funding opportunities such as sponsorship before making an application to the Sports Grants funds.  Further details and an application form are available.