Skip to main content

8.5 Electoral Registration


Inclusion on the Electoral Roll is a personal responsibility. The College will provide to the City Council a list of students living in College accommodation. It will then be the student’s responsibility to register with their personal details at

We strongly urge you to register if you are eligible. Do not risk being disenfranchised if general elections or referenda should occur when you are resident in Cambridge.

The Electoral Commission also provides full advice. In particular it stresses that as a student you may register in more than one place. If you are registered to vote in two different electoral areas, you can vote in local elections for the two different local councils. However, it is an offence to vote twice in the same type of election. Doing this could result in a fine of up to £5,000. Full details are provided by the Electoral Commission

Commonwealth students, and as of September 2022, EU students may vote in certain elections and the voting register will show this. Other overseas students are not permitted to vote.

Those in private accommodation out of College should make their own application to register to vote.