Skip to main content

8.2 University Card


8.2.1 The University Card

All members of the University are issued with a University card. The University Card Office is issued by the University Information Services on behalf of the University and Colleges.

The University Card looks like a credit card containing the cardholder’s name and photo, college scarf (students, Fellows and College members only), date of birth (undergraduates only) plus a barcode that is primarily used for University Library borrowing.

  • Identification – the card identifies you as a University employee or student, for students this is particularly important around exam time where you will need your card to gain entrance into your examinations.
  • Library Services – all personal University Cards carry a barcode on the back, this barcode can be used by the Library to turn your card into a Library Card.
  • Additional Privileges – the University Card is recognised by many businesses in Cambridge and around the world, production of the Card may entitle you to discounts.

You can find out more about the University Card Office at the relevant University web page.

If you lose your card or encounter any difficulties with its use, please contact Mrs Harriet Dann in the Tutorial Office in the first instance. There is a charge for a lost card (currently £12), which is put onto the College bill. Stolen or damaged cards are replaced free of charge, providing a crime number for the stolen card is presented, or by returning the damaged card to Mrs Dann.

This will be provided to you upon arrival at the Porters’ Lodge.

8.2.2 Your Card in College

It is extremely important that your University card is presented at the Porters’ Lodge when checking in and out of your room as this determines the room rent charge on your College bill. Any student who lives out of College is not required to present their University card at the Porters’ Lodge to register coming up and going down dates but such students will need to use the card in the Catering Department or liaise directly with the College Bursary in order to trigger any maintenance loan from Student Finance England.

Section 7.7.3 of the Student Guide describes how you may use your University Card to pay for food and drink in College.

If you live in College accommodation and are awaiting a replacement University card, you must ensure you obtain a temporary card from Mr Peter Miller in the College Bursary.