Thanks to a bequest from an old member of the College, Dr Dennis Elgar, Selwyn can make the following grants to students in addition to those listed above. They are targeted, in line with the donor’s wishes, at student support for those members of College with demonstrable financial need. Eligibility is thus defined, unless otherwise specified, as those who receive a Cambridge Bursary and/or a Top-up Bursary Scheme award.
- The Elgar Vacation Residence Grant to offer the opportunity to stay in Cambridge during the Easter vacation to students for whom financial considerations may be a barrier to doing so. With Tutorial support it may also be available for the Christmas vacation.
- The Elgar Finalists’ Grants Eligible undergraduates in their final year of study (third year for many, fourth year for others) and third year medical and veterinary students will receive a grant intended to help with such things as application fees, interview travel and other expenses that arise as they consider their next steps and in a year when their student loan diminishes. A grant of £300 will be paid as a credit on their College bill in the Easter Term to all eligible third year students in residence and to fourth year students who have returned from a Year Abroad or intermission. Each student will only be eligible for one such grant during their undergraduate career and fourth years will not be eligible for a second grant.
- Elgar Formal Hall Grants (on resumption of such dinners) In order to help ensure that students from less well-off backgrounds do not feel excluded from full participation in College life, this grant is intended to ensure that all students feel that Formal Hall is affordable. Students in receipt of a CBS grant will receive six free tickets [not guest tickets] per year; those on only PTUBS support will receive three per year. Eligible students will order tickets in the usual way and the College Bursary will ensure that tickets up to the specified limits will be paid for from Elgar funds. These tickets are not to be transferred to others and must be used by the eligible student.
Any students who do not qualify for support from the Elgar Fund as they are not in receipt of grants through Cambridge Bursary Scheme (CBS) or the Pilot Top-up Bursary Scheme (PTUBS) should consult their Tutor if they need assistance with vacation residence or expenses relating to the particular needs of students in their final year. Where need is identified, support can be forthcoming through the usual Student Support process.
- In addition, Elgar Matriculation Book and Equipment Grant of £100 will be made to all undergraduates in their first term of residence. CBS and PTUBS recipients will receive a further grant later in the academic year.
- A Master’s studentship to allow current Selwyn students from Widening Participation backgrounds to progress to a Cambridge MPhil.