Skip to main content

5.4 Grants and Funds


5.4.1 Summary

All freshers have received a summary document on financial support and related matters. It can be found in section 10 of this Guide. Please follow this link

5.4.2 Student Support Funds

The College has various trust funds available to help alleviate financial difficulty. The size of loans or grants varies according to circumstances. The amount does not usually exceed c£500, but larger loans or grants can sometimes be made in exceptional circumstances. College grants can also often help secure funds from University funds where a student has particular needs. Any student facing financial problems should discuss the matter with their Tutor to investigate what help is available.

The need for support is difficult to define in a precise way, but for the purposes of assessing eligibility for grants or interest-free loans that the College makes to students who experience unexpected financial hardship, it is taken to mean: ‘being unable to meet the reasonable (in the College’s view) costs of accommodation, maintenance, study, and living expenses, whilst having drawn fully on normally available resources, and not having incurred any foreseeable unreasonable expenditure’.

There are also two fund (the Hepper Fund and the Hodgson Fund) to assist disabled students and a fund (the Dawson Fund) dedicated to the support of students with serious mental health problems.

If you think you may qualify for a College support loan or grant, once you have discussed your circumstances in detail with your Tutor, you will then need to complete an application setting out your financial position and showing all sources of income and other resources (e.g. loans, savings from vacation work, legacies, scholarships etc) and how your circumstances have changed since the time you submitted your financial undertaking form at the start of your course. The form should be completed and submitted to your Tutor as an electronic document. Your Tutor will then complete a separate section and will forward the form to the Senior Tutor. Based on the details of your application, the Senior Tutor will make a recommendation for consideration by the Master and Bursar. It is therefore important that the application goes first to your Tutor, who will then forward it to the Senior Tutor. 

Student Support Application Form. (Download and please forward to your Tutor digitally as a Word document)

5.4.3 University Funds

Like the College, the University is committed to providing financial support where unforeseen hardship occurs. See the following link for more information:

There is a range of support available alongside and in addition to College support.

The key University support fund operates on the assumption that any given student will usually only receive a maximum of £2,000 per annum. Tutors apply on behalf of students for funding, the deadlines being at the division (mid-point) of each term. Details of the scheme, an application form and guidance are available online.

5.4.4 Cambridge Bursary Scheme

If you are a 'Home fee' [See summary at 5.4.1] and your household income is below £62,250 you are likely to be eligible for an annual Cambridge Bursary of up to £3,500 per year. Further details are available at: Scottish students are asked to note that they may still be eligible for a Cambridge Bursary even if they are not in receipt of a maintenance grant. They should consult the Cambridge Bursary website in the first instance.

Every year some eligible students do not apply for an income assessment through the Student Loans Company. Without that they cannot receive a Bursary. You do not have to take up a loan if offered, but you do have to apply to be able to receive any Bursary to which you are entitled.

5.4.5 Childcare Bursaries

The College pays into a University Bursary Fund for Childcare which provides grants to overseas and EU student parents. If you have childcare costs while you study here, both pre-school and after school, you should ask your Tutor for details and complete an application form in the Michaelmas Term.

Eligible Home students with children receive financial support through public funding. In a few cases this is not the case and a fund exists to make small awards to support childcare costs incurred by Home students in financial hardship under the remit of the Childcare Office for Home student parents. Details of the scheme will be advertised on their webpages before the commencement of Michaelmas Term 2019.

5.4.6 Medical Expenses

Crane’s Charity exists to support students who are ill and who can demonstrate financial need.

The University also operates a Reasonable Adjustments Fund to assist students with disabilities with certain types of support.

5.4.7 Chapel Funds

There are a number of funds available to help students intending to take Holy Orders in the Church of England, or to engage in overseas missionary work. There is also a fund to assist members of the College who are the sons or daughters of Anglican clergy. Students who think that they may be eligible should contact the Dean of Chapel.